WM8983: CODEC with 1W Speaker driver
The WM8983 is a low power, high quality stereo codec designed for portable multimedia applications. Highly flexible analogue mixing functions enable new application features, combining hi-fi quality audio with voice communication.
The device integrates preamps for stereo differential mics, and includes drivers for speaker, headphone and differential or stereo line output. External component requirements are reduced as no separate microphone or headphone amplifiers are required.
Advanced on-chip digital signal processing includes a 5-band equaliser, a mixed signal Automatic Level Control for the microphone or line input through the ADC as well as a purely digital limiter function for record or playback. A programmable high pass filter in the ADC path is provided for wind noise reduction and an IIR with programmable coefficients can be used as a notch filter to suppress fixed-frequency noise.
The WM8983 digital audio interface can operate in master or slave mode, while an integrated PLL supports flexible clocking schemes. A-law and m-law companding are fully supported.
The WM8983 operates at analogue supply voltages from 2.5V to 3.3V, although the digital core can operate at voltages down to 1.71V to save power. Speaker supplies can operate up to 5V for increased speaker output power. Additional power management control enables individual sections of the chip to be powered down under software control.
- DAC SNR 98dB, THD -84dB (‘A’ weighted @ 48kHz)
- ADC SNR 95dB, THD -84dB (‘A’ weighted @ 48kHz)
- Speaker driver (1W into 8W BTL with 5V supply)
- - SNR 90dB
- - PSRR 80dB
- Headphone driver with ‘capless’ option
- 40mW/channel output power into 16W / 3.3V AVDD2
- Pop and click suppression
- Stereo Differential or mono microphone Interfaces
- Programmable preamp gain
- Pseudo differential inputs with common mode rejection
- Programmable ALC / Noise Gate in ADC path
- Low-noise bias supplied for electret microphones
- Enhanced 3-D function for improved stereo separation
- Highly flexible mixing functions
- 5-band equaliser (ADC or DAC path)
- ADC Programmable high pass filter (wind noise reduction)
- ADC Programmable IIR notch filter
- Aux inputs for stereo analog input signals or ‘beep’
- PLL supporting various clocks between 8MHz-50MHz
- Sample rates supported (kHz): 8, 11.025, 16, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48
- 2.5V to 3.6V analogue supplies
- 1.71V to 3.6V digital supplies
- 2.5V to 5.5V speaker supplies
- 5x5mm 32-lead QFN package