WM8962: Ultra low power CODEC for portable audio applications
WM8962B replaces WM8962.
The WM8962B is a low power, high performance stereo CODEC designed for portable digital audio applications.
An integrated charge pump provides a ground referenced output which removes the need for DC-blocking capacitors on the headphone outputs, and uses the Wolfson 'Class-W' amplifier techniques - incorporating an innovative dual-mode charge pump architecture - to optimise efficiency and power consumption during playback. A DC Servo is used to reduce DC ground offsets. This improves power consumption and minimises pops and clicks.
Stereo class D speaker drivers provide 2W per channel into 4W BTL loads, with a 5V supply. Low leakage, excellent PSRR and pop/click suppression mechanisms also allow direct battery connection to the speaker supply. Flexible speaker boost settings allow speaker output power to be maximised while minimising other analogue supply currents.
Control sequences for audio path setup can be pre-loaded and executed by an integrated sequencer to reduce software driver development and eliminate pops and clicks via Wolfson's SilentSwitch™ technology.
Flexible input configuration: four stereo inputs or eight mono inputs on Left or Right ADC, with a complete analogue (four single-ended stereo inputs) and digital microphone interface. External component requirements are drastically reduced as no separate microphone, speaker or headphone amplifiers are required. Advanced on-chip digital signal processing performs automatic level control for the microphone or line input.
Stereo 24-bit sigma-delta ADCs and DACs are used with low power over-sampling digital interpolation and decimation filters and a flexible digital audio interface.
A programmable audio enhancement DSP is included with multiple preset algorithms. Virtual Surround Sound widens the stereo speaker audio image, HD Bass enhances low frequencies, and ReTuneTM flattens the frequency response of the speaker or microphone path. A configurable DSP includes additional functions such as 3D widening for recording, a 5-band parametric EQ and Dynamic Range Controller.
Two high performance PLLs and one Frequency Locked Loop (FLL) are integrated to enable the user to clock a full audio system.
The WM8962B operates at analogue supply voltages down to 1.7V, although the digital supplies can operate at voltages down to 1.62V to save power. The speaker supply can operate at up to 5.5V. Unused functions can be disabled using software control to save power.
The WM8962B is supplied in a very small W-CSP package, ideal for use in hand-held and portable systems.
- DAC SNR 98dB ('A' weighted), THD -84dB at 48kHz, 1.8V
- ADC SNR 94dB ('A' weighted), THD -85dB at 48kHz, 1.8V
- Stereo Class D Speaker Driver
- 2W per channel into 4Ω BTL speakers
- 1W per channel into 8Ω BTL speakers
- 2W mono (for improved THD)
- Flexible internal switching clock
- Wolfson 'Class-W' ultra-low power headphone driver
- Up to 31mW per channel output power at 1% THD+N into 16Ω at 1.8V
- Ground Referenced
- Low offset (+/- 1.2mV)
- Pop and click suppression
- Control sequencer for pop-minimised power-up/down
- Single register write for default start-up sequence
- Microphone Interface
- Single ended four stereo analogue input
- Integrated low noise MICBIAS
- Digital microphone interface
- Programmable ALC / Limiter and Noise Gate
- Programmable Audio Enhancement DSP with Presets
- Virtual Surround Sound
- HD Bass
- Fixed Audio Processing DSP
- 3D stereo widening
- 5-band Parametric EQ
- Dynamic range controller
- Beep generator
- Two integrated PLLs enable clocking of full audio system
- Low Power Consumption
- 7.7mW headphone playback
- 8.3mW analogue record mode
- Low Supply Voltages
- Analogue 1.7V to 2.0V (Speaker supply up to 5.5V)
- Charge pump 1.7V to 2.0V
- MIC bias amp supply 1.7V to 3.6V
- Digital 1.62V to 2.0V
- 2-wire I2C and 3- or 4-wire SPI serial control interface
- Standard sample rates from 8kHz to 96kHz
- W-CSP, 3.6x3.9mm 49-pin
Ordering & Samples
- DRC Operation in Wolfson Audio CODECs, Rev 1.0
- Setting the 3D-Stereo Enhancement Block in Wolfson CODECS, Rev 1.0
- Implementing ReTune™ with Wolfson Audio CODECs, Rev 1.1
- Setting the 3D Stereo Enhancement Block in Wolfson CODECs, Rev 1.1
- I2S USB Audio Streaming, Rev 1.0
- HD Bass Operation in Wolfson Audio CODECs, Rev 1.1
- WM8962 to WM8962B Migration Document, Rev 1.1
- Decoupling and Layout Methodology for Wolfson DACs, ADCs and CODECs, Rev 1.1